Happiness Is Banner

Happiness Is Banner

Friday, May 11, 2012

What We're Reading

After a two week hiatus, it's time to get back to sharing What We're Reading.

Over the past two weeks in which I didn't share our favorite books, Makayla has still been hung up on the Two is for Twins book that I shared last time.  I have to admit that it has grown on me.  I'm sure it has everything to do with how much Makayla loves to read it to us.

Austin has also really started to enjoy reading.  I've found him sitting down and reading books by him self a few times even. This kid doesn't sit still for anything, so it really warmed my heart the other day when I found him sitting against his stuffed frog chair and flipping through the pages of Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed.  He was pointing at the pictures and mumbling something out loud, as if he were actually reading each page out loud.

However, this week, Makayla has a new favorite.  It's another one of the Baby Einstein books.  All I can say is, these Baby Einstein folks know what they're doing!  We are currently reading...and rereading...and reading, Baby Einstein: Language Nursery.  This isn't a book I would have picked out on my own, it was a hand-me-down.  It seems a little boring at first glance.  Simple, plain images, very few words, most not even in English.  But Baby Einstien gets it right , every time!

This book has a simple (but bold and easy to see for Makayla) image on one side of the page and on the opposite page there is a short sentence about the image and the sentence is written in about six different languages.  I have yet to actually ready the other languages to them, but the back of the book says that hearing the different languages is good for children during their language learning years.


On the last page, instead of an image, there is a mirror.  This is Makayla's favorite part.  She is always so excited and surprised to find herself in the book!  It cracks her up and she gets supper close to the mirror and kisses herself and giggles.  We have mirrors for the kids to play with, but there is something about having in it the book that makes it SO much more magical!


One of my favorite things about the book is that it's taught Makayla the work "duck."  Of course, now everything that isn't a dog or cat, is a duck...but she's learning!


Please remember that the voting for Circle of Moms' Top 25 Moms of Multiples blogs is still open!  And we sure would appreciate it if you would consider voting for us.  For the past week, we have been fighting for a spot in the top 10 on the list, but have been steadily hanging out in 11th!




8 comments:

  1. Poppet is only just now getting interested in books!  Love watching her read out loud to herself.  One of my favourite things in life right now!

    Warmest regards,
    Joy
    http://www.PardonMyPoppet.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love all the baby Einstein books around here as well! Although Ava is all about Dora books right now. Big surprise. Happy Weekend to you! 

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have that book, and Jayda Grace loves it, we are into Dora now also, when she watches the show she has all her Dora books with her, its too funny, I voted also.  Have a blessed weekend!  Thanks for also coming over to my blog and leaving such wonderful comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just voted for you again! I joined Circle of Moms contest because I saw it on your blog and was voting for you. You got me there and thanks for the vote! I am also your newest follower! Love your blog and your family is adorable! And as for the whole toe-hanging-over-your-shoe thing....i am with you 100%!!!!!! I have a feeling we would be fast friends! Thanks for the vote, I am going to keep coming back to visit (and vote!)
    Kim
    My Twintastic Life

    ReplyDelete
  5. When my kids we're lil we recived a big box of book and there were many Baby Einstein books-thye quickly became my kids favs!! ONe had a lil mouse Violet who took pix, there was a drawing of the mouse taking the pix then the next page was a real photograph-MY daughter carried that around like it was THE BIBLE! =)


    Have a wonderful Mother's Day weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is wonderful to watch children discover the wonderful world of books!  A beautiful habit to build into their lives!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How sweet. I love these books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad books are still around for kids.  I hope they never go away, and you're holding some device for them instead of a book.  Voted for you!;)

    ReplyDelete