Happiness Is Banner

Happiness Is Banner

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

That's NOT food!



It looks like my "Eat or Starve" policy may be backfiring on me.

Recently, my oh-so-funny twerpies decided that feeding the dog is a lot more fun than feeding themselves.  They shriek at the top of their lungs and fling all of their meals onto the floor and wait for the always near by dog to race to the fallen food's rescue. Veggies first, followed by a major portion of their chicken or eggs, and even going so far as to toss their absolute favorite, bananas...splat, on to my now brownish-grey tile floors.

The fix seemed easy enough. We made sure the the dog was gone for all meals.  Not just behind the baby gate or in another room, out of the house all together.  Out of sight, out of mind, right? Um, nooo.  All their food continues to go right down to the floor.  This time it seems to be simply for their own entertainment.  A food flinging competition, if you will.  Egged on by each others squeals of delight.  Each one trying to one up the other.

I sternly scold them, only to be met with adorable, heart melting smirks and giggles.  Trying not to break under the cuteness, I turn to their father for reinforcements.  He puts on his best I-don't-think-this-is-at-all-freakin-hysterical face, and I think the kids are actually buying it.  His big booming voice actually startles them and they freeze in their tracks...for only a moment before they start cackling in unison and swipe their arms across their trays throwing every last bite of food onto my sad pathetic floor.

And that's when I came up with the Eat or Starve policy.  They can feed the dog, that's fine.  Scout is a big supporter of the policy.  The policy simply works like this.  I will feed them their normal serving sizes, they can eat it or toss it, but I will not give them more food, or feed them a snack, or feed them their next meal early.  The logic behind it is that if they feed their breakfast to Scout, they'll be that much hungrier for lunch and hopefully EAT!  Also, once they are big enough to hold a mop, they are my indentured servants and will make up for all the mopping I'm currently doing.

However, yesterday and today, I'm learning that I may only be punishing myself.  The kids have been painfully irritable, which I have to assume is because they are hungry...and today, while we were playing in the yard, between the two of them they tired to eat, rocks, tanbark, rocks, dry pasta, a pinecone, rocks, a broken baby gate and rocks....

So what's a mom to do?


**Voting for Circle of Moms' Top 25 Moms of Multiples closes in 9 days!  Please remember that you can vote for Happiness Is every day.  Your vote means the world to us.  Please and THANK YOU!



9 comments:

  1. Oh that's funny. That is something my kids would do. Wish I had answers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the "Rock Star" shirt whilst gnawing on a rock....  My middle guy (just about 2) has been flinging his food for months. He is finally outgrowing it. He does best when he can roam about and come over for a bite now and again - he's a grazer.  It's amazing how well little ones can handle a wet rag on a messy floor!  Keep repeating "this is just a phase.... this is just a phase...."

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be that age. This is what I did. I fixed his plate as if it were mine but it would be a very small amount. I would sit down somewhere on his walking level. It would be no time before he was right there eating off "my plate". I would ask him if he wanted some more and that's when he sat in his high chair and ate. Now with twins I guess that will be a challenge. Good luck. ;-) Punishing is always more work for us. I love how they were only startled by the booming voice. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha I think having that shirt on was perfect for this picture!
    I guess they are hungry... Here's hoping it eventually works out. I have children that don't eat much ever.. My 18 month old still nurses almost completely. He just WON"T eat. It's very annoying. My 3 year old is so picky it's just funny, as I am used to it now. The joys of children I tell ya. 

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. I am going thru this with my 2yo. She is a grazer and quite picky so food choices are limited. I tried the if you don't eat then you get nothing else but it does just make them cranky and us mamas crazy. Right now we are on a pancake kick and I let her graze

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it perfect? I actually didn't even notice it until after I shared the post on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that idea. they are always interested in what I'm eating so I think it could work! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope 2 is the magic age, because we're not to far from there! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! My twins are just starting eating finger foods and while I'm watching one, the other is dropping his food in his crotch or on the floor so I'm so thinking, "wow, you're doing so good eating your blueberries!" Hmm, little do I know I'll find all of them when I hoist them out of those highchairs. Grr.... 

    ReplyDelete