Happiness Is Banner

Happiness Is Banner

Friday, March 23, 2012

What We're Reading

The kids are finally into books! Well, Makayla is.  Austin is way too busy to slow down and sit with a book, but since he's been sick, he does like to curl up on my lap and have a book read to him.  I don't think this will continue once he's feeling better.

Both of their grandfathers are big readers and I feel a great deal of responsibility that I raise eager little readers.

Up until this point, books were for gnawing at, and tearing to confetti sized pieces, a sight that would probably send my father into cardiac arrest.  But in the last few weeks, something changed. 

Our thoughtful friends whom threw our baby shower asked each guest to bring a book to help start our kids library.  Everyone wrote a sweet note in the cover telling Austin and Makayla why it was their favorite book.  Since that time, I've continued to collect books for them, making sure to snag the board book copies that are much more difficult (but I assure you, not impossible) to ruin.  And just a few weeks ago, they discovered the book shelf that's been in their room since they were home from the hospital.

Now that they are interesting in books, I thought it would be fun to share what we are reading each week and why it's our favorite, or not so much.

This week's (actually, for the last several weeks) book is an undeniable classic: The Very Hungry Caterpillar. 

This is a book I remember reading with my dad.  I can't imagine anyone hasn't heard of this book before, but in case you haven't, it's a story about a little caterpillar that hatches from it's egg and eats through many fruits and other foods, counting all the way through his meals. 

The story is quite simple and a bit repetitive for my taste now, but Makayla LOVES it!  The bright, bold colors are easy for her to see, and the tiny holes where the caterpillar eat through each item are the perfect size for her little fingers to explore.  The page with the strawberries and oranges are her absolute favorite.

I can see this book being one that we continue to love and grow with for it's obvious education purposes.  No wonder it's a classic!

Reading her favorite "strawberries and oranges" page.

Showing mommy her favorite book, nad how happy it makes her

5 comments:

  1. I adored The Very Hungry Caterpillar growing up, and now I'm reading it to my daughter too! Once she starts talking, I'll ask her to make up different answers for what he ate on Saturday :) Sweet post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea, Andrea! I think I might just have to steal that idea. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved reading the hungry caterpillar to my daughter... brings such sweet memories back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Eric Carle's books! That one is one of our favorites... love when they can read it to me! visiting from VB

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashleigh, actually I hadn't heard of this book till a few months ago when we received one as a gift. BUt we actually need a new one because the boys ate it, and ripped it and there was nothing I could do to stop them! Yes, we had the paper version - but the boys also liked sticking their finger in the hole. Can't wait to hear what they are reading next.
    Leigh@oneandoneequalstwinfun.com

    ReplyDelete